Thursday, November 6

R.I.P Michael Crichton

Reading the BBC and CNN tickers just now, turned this into a sad day. Author Michael Crichton passed away today of cancer on Nov 4th.

R.I.P Michael Crichton, your writings live on forever.


I started reading science fiction because of Crichton and Asimov. Both are legends of their own styles of writing, both crossed genres, and have legions of fans. Sadly not many authors these days have their timeless skills and qualities. MC and his contemporaries put the Science in speculative fiction, where and when it mattered most. Of all his books, Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park and Sphere were my favorites ever. Its hard to fine brilliant fast paces stories anymore. And all the current ones are written for Hollywood, but MC was different. If you pickup Jurassic Park or The Lost World today, you would know the world of a difference it is from the movies. His early works are very absorbing and even after countless readings you can still learn many new facts. For this reason and many, legends do live forever, and we are so ever grateful for the knowledge they parted.

[+] A dedication from Arv to MC.
[+] MC official site.
[+] Wiki

6 comments:

மு.வேலன் said...

MC, you are in my thoughts.

Princess said...

oh! really sad news for me, i am a great fan of his words and his narrative style..

Arv said...

Warm dedication bro...

Andromeda Strain was written in 1969... I read it 20 years later as a nine year old...

He has way ahead of his time mate...

Did you get to watch the television version of it on HBO? they did a good job...

I would miss his works... I need to catch up with his last books too...

Thanks for the mention...

Have a nice evening bro...

R.I.P. Mr. Crichton...

Cheers...

gautami tripathy said...

May his soul rest in peace...

Mr Coppens said...

Michael was a giant in every sense of the word. What a brilliant mind..the best part of which was his ability to convert complex theoretical scientificky stuff into chewable bites for the great unwashed..like me.

This was weird..the day he died I had collected all of his books in a pile and I was going to write a post about him...seriously I had no idea...
they are still sitting there on my desk?

Ghost Particle said...

[velan] thanks for the respect nanba. I will give you his books when i come back.

[princess] u said it well princess, his narrative style is amazing. thx.

[arv] i read it when i was 12 I think, somehow I think its one of his best, if not the best. the idea was so bold and the whole setting was amazing. he was ahead of his time. You will definitely love his other books, Sphere is a sci-fi thriller, and the Jurassic park series, Congo...all is nice. though i did not like timeline much, it was the only book frm him that I did not like :)

Ive got the dvd, havent watched it yet, will go home and settle it :)

nice night bro, r u in chennai? keep in touch, we shall meet ok. :)

[gautami] May his soul rest in peace. thx gautami,

[donn] you must write about him bro, he touched many minds. and yes, the layman explanations that caught me from the beginning. thx :)