Friday, October 10

Holy What?!


I had to get the book, it appeared 'mysteriously' a few weeks before I got to India, out of nowhere in ALL bookstores I went. And then when I get here, its everywhere still!
And someone asked me to read the book a long time ago when I told her I want to backpack in India...:p I told her I wont need to read it...but now I think I should have read it earlier.
Finally the street book vendor won, after 3 good days of pestering me to buy any book. And after reading the first few chapters...all I can say is, its either Sarah McDonald is mega lost, mega egoistic or just loves the country so much that she aint telling ( or just want to sell books :p ) It is a semi funny book, I think travelers should read it, but its not a true travel book either. She does have many good points in there, but looking down too much of people is not good...sigh. Oh and she is so damn right about the airline stewadress's. I just want to know if they spray the insecticide in all flights coming into India?!!
But the language is abit raw, I'm going back to Amitav Ghosh for now.
And then comes the question, what 'kind' of people can survive in foreign lands? Do they have to have some past connections? Or just assimilate themselves, or let the land swallow them?
One obvious thing among all this is, there is a big big difference between being a tourist, and a visitor and a traveler.



[+] Im in a mysterious 'good net connection' period for the past 30 minutes. Holy Internet, im going to write this book. Yep. Im going to roam the streets now.

13 comments:

Veens said...

i read a review at Rambler's aboput this book :-)

I am nto a travelogue fan[never read one.. and dnt intend to either :D]

but well I would def lov to read abt yur book :P

Ghost Particle said...

[veens] ive jst updated the post, it was prematurely published. damn the connection, im telling u my book is going to be a best seller. hahaha.

there are some great travel writers, i love them coz u get to read a new story each time. bt then this flash travel writers jst screw up major. the problem is, after a few chapters, u start to reflect urself there. I should have read this earlier, so that i can disapprove the opinions in there...bt there are some good points in there. its a thesis, not a book. LOL.

hey sorry for not jumping often, writing a comment and publishing it takes forever on the connection i have, bt i can read the posts in my g-reader. :p

have a nice weekend.

Veens said...

:-)

hehehe! :P

thats alright ... ;) i completely understand :)

Welcome to India!!

:P
and abt travel books.. sigh :( thesis LOL...
wais eu can log yur India tour this time ;)

Jeevan said...

There was a sudden high spread internet connection at home for some hours yesterday! I want to be a traveler than a tourist :)

BBD said...

Aerosol spray ... as far as I know India, Aust and New Zealand make this mandatory..
And they even tell you " The spray is harmless bla bla bla" I just wanted to grab the mic and tell the pilot, try spraying it up you bushy moustache! :)
Link for anyone interested

"That’s because over a dozen countries, including Australia, New Zealand and India, require that incoming aircraft be treated with phenothrin or permethrin, two members of a class of pesticides known as pyrethroids. Pyrethroids are synthetic variations of a chemical found in the chrysanthemum that kills by interfering with insect nervous systems." http://www.nwlaborpress.org/2004/5-7-04AFA.html

d gypsy! said...

there is a big big difference between being a tourist, and a visitor and a traveler.


agreed whole heartedly, but very few people realize this...

Ghost Particle said...

[veens] hahaha...everyone says the same when i mention internet problems. LOL.

[jeevan] yes bro, travelers r the ones who experience even the smallest of things around them. :) net is dead again today...sigh.

[bbd] dude! LOL. the delhi flight, u had the same thing to? it smelled good though. Oh for me Betsy sprayed the thing... so me no angry bahahah! hemm and we drink chrysanthemum tea! does that means...

[neha] :) i think many choose not to realize that and jst wanna sink into the comforts first eh. i tink being a traveler takes ur farther. :)

Ghost Particle said...

[veens] hahaha...everyone says the same when i mention internet problems. LOL.

[jeevan] yes bro, travelers r the ones who experience even the smallest of things around them. :) net is dead again today...sigh.

[bbd] dude! LOL. the delhi flight, u had the same thing to? it smelled good though. Oh for me Betsy sprayed the thing... so me no angry bahahah! hemm and we drink chrysanthemum tea! does that means...

[neha] :) i think many choose not to realize that and jst wanna sink into the comforts first eh. i tink being a traveler takes ur farther. :)

Solitaire said...

Holy cow!!

What is going to be the title of your book?

Ghost Particle said...

[sneha] me thinks putting 'Holy...Anything' might sell :D
or ill pt something cerebral so that most ppl wont read it. hemm. :P

gautami tripathy said...

Yuck! How could even pick it up? The cover is totally yucky!

Ghost Particle said...

[gautami] heh...im gonna do a bonfire in my room soon out of the book. :P

venus66 said...

All the best.

when

it rains around the world sleep welcomes the dream, and  enigmatic souls awaken along the eternal shores of destiny