Thursday, November 8

Pre-Deepavali: Adventures on an Eve that Never Ends

Okay...I know that there is no way to 'undo' Deepavali. It's just that, the day moves so fast that it's over before it starts. So I came up with an idea of having a perpetual festival eve, the one that never ends, the one where you prepare forever, the one that you sit and talk with your buddies for ages...the one where the liquor never stops flowing and you never get drunk. (And then you wake up from the most beautiful dream you have). Knowing all this would never happen, let me share the snaps of a never ending Deepavali eve, the never ending things that I do for all Deepavali's...

The Deepavali Haircut. Having long convinced that I never will have a unique hairstyle, and David Beckham hairdo is a myth, so on every eve I get a cool haircut that makes me feel good for about 15 minutes (the time it takes for me to get home from the barbershop and my grandma asking why does my hairdo looks like an upside down pot on the head).

Murukku Showdown. This one really cracks me up, every eve, I get all the murukku's that mom and grandma make and compare them with my aunties and neighbors! A sure way to rekindle some family warfare of years gone by...

Deepavali light decor. Every eve, my brothers try hard to convince people they own the electricity board. How nice. And every year I stop them from putting the lights on the roof of the house. The ceiling and front lawn is had...forever.

Fireworks. The 60 minutes firework show around the town when the clock strikes 12 (+/- 10 minutes Indian timing). I bet every year there are more fireworks than bombs dropped during the great wars. I'm not going to say anything anymore, Fireworks are Illegal in this country and please dont burn down your house.

All said...I love Deepavali, it reminds me that I've grown up, and I dont fit in a size 32 pant anymore. So folks...have a blast of a celebration, and if the mutton tomorrow doesn't finally choke my heart, I will come with a Deepavali update. And my Sivaji kurta.

9 comments:

Keshi said...

hey Ghosty u hv nice brows! beautiful :)

HAPPY DEEPAVALI TO U TOO!


**my grandma asking why does my hairdo looks like an upside down pot on the head

LOL!


I wanna see u in ur Sivaji kurta!


Keshi.

Sophie said...

May the festival of lights be the harbinger of joy and prosperity. As the holy occasion of Diwali is here and the atmosphere is filled with the spirit of mirth and love, here's hoping this festival of beauty brings your way, bright sparkles of contentment, that stay with you through the days ahead.
Best wishes on Diwali

Mandeep Gill said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandeep Gill said...

happy diwali to you too.

i'm in a rebellious fever. its diwali. i'm skipping the grand dinner on sunday with all the malaysians here cuz my lengah is in need of a hem redo and i'm just lazy to care. and while my friends go to the temple tonight, i'm going partying, celebrating a friend's 21st birthday. and its LADIES' NIGHT!

mwahaha~
enjoy diwali!

Shiv said...

happy diwali...

Pauline said...

Nice post, nice photos, hope you had a great evening!

Miladysa said...

Belated Diwali Wishes to you!

I love the lights :)

Jeevan said...

Nice Pics, the hairstyle was super bro :)

mystic rose said...

that must have been a nice deepavali then.